ZUMBA® and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license. www.zumba.com

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why Shelly Loves Zumba®:

Now it’s my turn:

Why do I even remember the date I first came to Zumba? Last year I was having a horrible emotional breakdown so bad that I thought “April 14: from this day forward things will never be the same.” You know the despair—the crushing feeling of hopelessness. I had to get away. I needed to escape in some attempt to regroup and gain a better perspective.

I had been to the Orem Fitness Center maybe twice in all 10 years I’d lived here. In March I happened to see a sign about the new Zumba classes and thought it looked interesting. But it was scheduled at a difficult time of day and I was self-conscious about going, thinking I’d be the only white girl there and would look silly trying to do Latin dancing. But I logged it in my mind thinking someday I might try it.

Well April 14 came and I needed that escape. I hate shopping. It was too cold to go for a long walk. I didn’t want to talk to a friend about my emotions. I wanted to forget them. I remembered the Zumba class, dropped my insecurities (because I was really at rock bottom anyway) and just went. I couldn’t believe how fun it was! I got lost lots of times on the steps, but I was completely engaged in the movement of it and for that whole hour, my stress melted away!

After that, I didn’t miss a single class. My family supported me and made it possible for me to keep coming. It gave me the outlet I needed to feel like I could completely self-indulge but not feel guilty. I was rejuvenated during class. But I also had something so FUN and rewarding to look forward to during my difficult moments the rest of the time. It was just what I needed to keep me going.

So since April 14, things really haven’t been the same--they’re better! I’m so happy for the changes in my life over the last year and that Zumba has been such a catalyst for change. I know it can be a huge benefit to others, so that’s why I enjoy teaching so much. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed receiving your emails about how Zumba has enhanced your lives, too.

All our lives are so different. I know Zumba is only a small part of each of them. But I love that we can come together and laugh and smile and whoop and holler and share something that gives us just what we need to keep going with the rest of our responsibilities.

Thank you so much for letting me be a small part of your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment