ZUMBA® and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license. www.zumba.com

Friday, May 13, 2011

"When I lose weight, I'll start going to the gym"


I’ve actually heard people say, “When I lose some weight, I’ll start going to the gym.”

I know, I know,-- it’s seems a little backward.

According to a great article I just read by Gregory Welch in the May 2011 American Fitness issue, “being fit” is NOT defined by our size, but is defined by our ability to perform work—yard work, running, lifting, unloading your car, wrestling with your grandchildren, painting your bedroom, etc.

“Fitness” has little to do with your size because there are thin people who can’t run the length of a city block without stopping to catch their breath, and I’ve seen non-thin people who are endurance powerhouses! They can work in their yard, they can swim 60 laps, and they can handle intense cardio classes (like Zumba!).

Your ability to perform work is essential to your quality of life and independence. Waiting until you are smaller before you workout is a dangerous game. You are losing functional abilities as time goes on. So you can’t wait until you lose weight to work on your fitness. Like Gregory Welch said, you have to be “fit” FIRST, before you can start any effective changes in your weight.

If you aren’t thin, you may indeed have to work harder just to maintain the ability to perform that work. The bonus: you burn more calories because you have more to move.  

Can you perform work without going to the gym? Absolutely!

Do you?

If you answered no, in spite of your good intentions, you may benefit from a group exercise class. It is helpful to have a set time so you don’t delay getting your workout clothes on. You don’t have to plan the workout because the instructor takes care of that. It is socially rewarding. And if you come to a Zumba class—it’s FUN!

So maybe Zumba is just the thing to improve your fitness. Come try it out! I teach regular high-energy Zumba classes and Zumba Gold classes for seniors and people just starting out. Find my teaching schedule here.

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment