ZUMBA® and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license. www.zumba.com

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No treat -- No big deal

I took my kids to Baskin Robbins last night. Everyone got a double scoop of something. Except me.

I can't have ice cream. Ever. I know people tell me I can buy those little lactaid pill thingys, but they don't work for me. So I just don't have ice cream. Ever.

But even at the ice cream haven, I didn't feel sorry for myself. I didn't even feel tense at being surrounded by all those yummy treats I can't have. Because the truth is, I CAN have them. I just CHOOSE not to put myself through the consequences. I am in control of that.

From the first day I realized I could never have ice cream, or milk, or yogurt again, it was no big deal. Why? Because I realized how it was making me feel and I didn't want to feel that way again. I felt empowered to know what to do to avoid the bad feelings. It's just a change in perspective. Understanding what it does to my overall "feel good" level makes it change from being something I am being denied to something that I am in control of. Hot chocolate makes my stomach sick and then I don't want to move. So saying "no" when someone is holding a hot steaming cup out to me isn't hard at all.

So why is it that I can't have the same attitude about cinnamon rolls, raw cookie dough, peanut butter M&Ms? I don't even have to say no ALL the time. The difference is probably that the consequence is more distant from the decision point, but the consequence is still there. When I overdo it, I get an insulin response, I feel sluggish, my stomach doesn't feel good. Yes, even me!

So, maybe my public confessional will cause you to rethink a few things you think you are not strong enough to say no to. You probably don't have to say no ALL the time. Just be in control of your choices and keep everything in moderation. I think at this time of year, that is a realistic approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment